Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Frugality Borne of Faith

Have you ever sat down and thought to yourself, I am so grateful to be frugal? I am so happy I have to clip coupons, not spend money, or go without? Prosperity to me, means being able to walk into a store, and buying anything I wanted without having to worry about money--that is what I dream about. But are these really the lessons I need to be learning or passing on to my children? Not really. By working hard, and sacrificing to get the things that we have, we appreciate more fully the blessings Heavenly Father gives us.
Elder Bednar said, "There is a responsibility to be prudent in the management of [our] resources, and there are places where we need to improve. If there is an example of use it up, wear it out, making do, or do without, we are that place."
Ponder for a moment this statement by President Henry B Eyring:
"I testify to you that that spirit of sacrifice, that spirit of trying to give just a little bit more and ask a little less brings down the powers of heaven."
President Eyring gives an example of the sacrifices that went on in Idaho; those first pioneers who settled there and built up what is now Brigham Young University Idaho in their poverty. "The first principal, Jacob Spori, housed his family in an unheated grain storage shed in his first winter because that's all they had. The people here [in Idaho] have treated all they had as the Lord's and always counted it as enough. And they have used it as if it was the offering of the poorest widow to her Lord and to His Kingdom. Nor have they felt badly treated when the Lord asked them to take less and yet give more. Because of that faithful obedience and sacrifice, I certify the Lord has poured out His Spirit here." President Eyring calls this frugality borne of faith.
"There will come times when the Lord's prophet will ask us to do more with less. Knowing that will come, we must and will find ways to improve and to innovate that require little or no money."
As I take in the words of President Eyring, and really try to understand their meaning, I feel such thankfulness to the Lord for blessing me with the resources I have. I hope I can be steadfast like those early pioneers, and remember that all things are the Lord's, given to me by the Lord for his purposes. They did not complain, or want for more. They made due with what they had. From their examples I am learning to have such gratitude for all that I have. It is enough, and sufficient for my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment